Saturday, June 25, 2011

Farewell Furniture

Monday we had the movers come and pack up/move all of our stuff.  Tyler stayed home all day to supervise but I had to work.  It was so weird leaving for work in the morning with a house full of things and then coming home to pretty much nothing!   I still felt like I was a little involved because Tyler sent me pictures and texts throughout the day to let me know what was going on.   Lucky for us, my boss let us borrow their super comfy air mattress (not being sarcastic… it really is comfy!).  So for the past few days we have pretty much had nothing but a blow-up mattress, our armoire, and sofas.  Today, a guy came and bought the last of the furniture and now we’ve got nothing but an air mattress.  It’s weird sitting on the floor and eating or hanging out but I suppose we need to get used to it because that’s what the Japanese do, right?  Haha.  All of the blogs I have been following that post things about restaurants in Oki have pictures of tables and chairs so I am sure we won’t sit on the floor too often (although it would be a cool thing to start doing while living there….noted!).    Seeing our furniture go has been a little bittersweet.  It was our first set of furniture together and hated to get rid of it but we had to.  Tyler moved up to the area with almost 8,000 lbs of stuff but the Marine Corps is only allowing us to take 2,500 of that with us to Japan.  We have had to sell pretty much ALL of our furniture (with the exception of a full size bed, desk, dining room table, and futon) and both of our cars.  Thankfully the military lets you borrow furniture while living there since they don’t allow you to bring much stuff.  I’m looking forward to getting new things, just worried about them being mismatched, worn from other people using them, and ugly haha.   We will take what we can get and make do with whatever we are given.  Now comes the fun part, cleaning the apartment!  We have to be out of our apartment by June 30 and are going to live with some friends on base until we head to Texas on the 7th.  Guess I should get to cleaning and stop blogging.  Here are a few pictures of the movers moving our stuff: 


 


I didn’t get any pictures today but wish I would have.  It was pretty much impossible to get the couch out of our front door because of the way our entry way is shaped.  It took Tyler a very long time to get the couch inside of the apartment when we moved in so we were worried about getting it out.  When we moved in, you could look over the balcony and see a couch on the ground.  Since it is nearly impossible to get a couch out of the front door, we assumed that the last tenants just tossed their couch over the balcony haha.  Well we were unsuccessful at getting the couch out through the front door today and decided to try the backdoor thing.  We pulled the truck around to the back of the building and had one person upstairs and one down (and me supervising since there wasn’t much I could do).  I didn’t think it would work but surprisingly, it worked like a charm and we were able to get the couch down without any problems….. so I will swallow my pride and say that TYLER WAS RIGHT AND I WAS WRONG (better take note of this because you won’t see me writing this a whole lot ;)  ).  Thanks for all of your hard work babe!!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment